Diamond Hill Homestead is a classic, vintage, Vermont home and land opportunity. Close to St. Johnsbury, Lyndon and Burke Mountain, the 3-bedroom cape, circa 1855, is an eclectic mix of styles and eras from over its long history. Special features include an attached, 2-car garage, a combination living and dining room with a large, brick hearth, a first-floor master bedroom, and an unfinished 740 sq ft space above the garage. Out back of the house are grand views to the east of the Passumpsic River Valley and New Hampshire's White Mountains.
The land is ideal for agriculture, recreation or subdivision. The young softwood and hardwood forests work their way around a wildlife pond and a large meadow. Two streams cut through the property.
Diamond Hill Homestead is between the twin towns of St. Johnsbury and Lyndon on the edge of the Northeast Kingdom region of Vermont. The property sits on one of the last ridges before the Passumpsic River valley, providing the wonderful eastern views that can be enjoyed from many vantage points.
While much of the economy in this part of Vermont is land-based (forestry and agriculture), Lyndon and St. Johnsbury are home to a campus of Northern Vermont University, the Fairbanks Museum and Planetarium, North Country Regional Hospital and St. Johnsbury Academy. Each town hosts a variety of local shops and restaurants as well as some smaller national chains. Burke Mountain Resort for skiing and Kingdom Trails for mountain biking are 20-25 minutes to the northeast.
Diamond Hill Homestead lies on both sides of Diamond Hill Road, a gravel, town-maintained road. There are 700 ft of frontage on the eastern side of the road (where the house is) and 1,000 ft of frontage on the western side. The house sits directly on the road, and there is a dirt parking area between the road and garage with space for 4 vehicles.
Diamond Hill Homestead rests on a lower plateau of Diamond Hill with sloping topography and an eastern aspect. The home sits on 12.7 acres of open and forested land on the east side of the road with lawn, meadow and trees.
Across the road are 27.4 acres of meadows and woods. The location of previous gardens can still be discerned, and scattered apple trees and some blueberry bushes are also found here. A large, meandering meadow reaches back from the road and up the hillside. The forest beyond is mostly young hardwoods with some softwoods. A stream runs from west to east across this portion of the property.
A pond is just downhill of the home and is mostly surrounded by shrubs, grasses and some trees. It is an attraction for wildlife, which can be viewed from the patio. Downhill of the pond, the property is wooded with softwoods and includes some older beaver ponds that have since dried up, as well as the pond’s outlet stream.
The 2,150 sq ft, 1½-story cape home was built in 1855. An addition was constructed off the back in 1954 by a family using the home as a summer residence. Wooden clapboards painted a classic red adorn the exterior and a metal roof was installed in two stages in 2012 and 2016.
The home is an eclectic mix of styles, a testament to its long history and many owners. Stained, pine paneling is common in many rooms and is even featured on several ceilings. Exposed brick walls appear in the kitchen and living room, where there is also barnboard siding. The current owner refurbished the master bedroom, the upstairs front bedroom and the upstairs landing with improved insulation and sheetrock. Flooring is largely wide-board softwood. An unfinished space above the attached, two-car garage could add another 740 sq ft to the home.